Investing in Social Work
We are striving to bring the best people into the profession by actively engaging with universities who offer social work training to ensure students and NQSW’s are acquiring the right knowledge and skills to do the job.
Newly Qualified Social Workers and the ASYE
We ensure all newly qualified social workers are fully supported in their first year of practice by providing the following opportunities:
- Shadowing peers and other professionals
- Co-working with more experienced professionals
- Peer staff forums and guided reading from an external support supervisor
- Familiarisation with the local community
- Discussions with more experienced colleagues
- 10% of the time to be ring fenced for training and development activity
- Supervision weekly for the first six weeks
- Supervision sessions fortnightly for next six months
- 10% reduction in caseloads
- Training and development activities including external seminars and conferences
The London Borough of Newham is part of the North East London Teaching Partnership made up of:
- London Borough of Havering (lead)
- London Borough of Redbridge
- London Borough of Tower Hamlets
- London Borough of Barking and Dagenham
- London Metropolitan University
- University of East London
The aim of the North-East London Teaching Partnership is to:
- Develop, embed and maintain a sustainable model and culture of practice learning and leadership excellence at all levels, from entry to social work courses, through placements, newly qualified social workers and the workforce.
- Support the retention of social workers across the partnership.