Overall Purpose of Job:
- To act as a member of staff for the Local Authority Adult Mental Health service providing an effective and efficient Care Act appropriate service to vulnerable adults with high mental health support needs and their Carers, within the community or in a hospital setting.
- To liaise closely with the local Mental Health Trust, Primary Care and with other parts of the mental health services in the private and voluntary sector.
- To undertake assessments and have an allocated number of care managed cases.
- To be an Approved Mental Health Professional (AMHP) or be committed to train as one.
Newham is a diverse borough with a young and vibrant population. There are over 270,190 Adults in the borough, coming from all corners of the world and serves one of the most vibrant and culturally diverse communities in the UK where over 100 different languages are spoken. This makes Newham an exciting and interesting place to work.
Newham Mental Health service provides support to adults and Carers, who may, because of the effects of ill health or disability, need support to live safely and independently. Our vision is to promote the wellbeing of people in Newham, making the best use of available resources to enable adults to live in the community independently and live safely, free from abuse and neglect. We strive to support our customers to make their own decisions, to feel safe and protected from harm, aspire to good health throughout their lives and make positive choices to maintain and improve their wellbeing.
Adult Mental Health Services within the London Borough of Newham (LBN) has made significant changes in the way in which it delivers services to meet the requirements of the Care Act 2014. We are looking to recruit qualified Social Workers across the Mental Health Service. Candidate must have a minimum of two years’ experience, can already be a practicing Approved Mental Health Professional (AMHP) or be willing to train as an AMHP. We are looking for people who embrace change and are committed to help us shape our vision for Adult Mental Health Services, to focus on Recovery based, personalized and outcome focused approaches, in which our residents get an improved choice, greater control, and maximize their independence.
There is a strong commitment to supporting professional development, to improve services and outcomes for vulnerable people. As a qualified Social Worker we know that you want to make a difference and working at Newham you will be given every support and opportunity to do so.
If you share this vision of excellent Social Work practice, we want to hear from you.
We are looking for ambitious Social Workers across all teams in Mental Health. These posts are based within the Local Authority, whilst working very closely with the local Mental Health Trust, dealing with Adults who have complex and enduring Mental Health problems. As part of a fast paced responsive service, you must be able to problem solve, prioritise quickly, identify risk, be able to build professional relationships, empower people in their families and communities, support people to manage their own risks, know and apply legislation, maximise independence, access practical support and advice and work with others to achieve the best possible outcomes.
You will deliver high quality risk and needs assessments, carry a caseload and work as part of a team. Your Recovery based intervention skills and support will enable our service users with complex Mental Health needs, their Carers and families to maximize their choices, control and independence.
This is a qualified Social Work post, so you’ll need to have a Social Work qualification and Registration with Social Work England.
- We are able to offer you excellent personal and development opportunities
- Opportunity to qualify as a Best Interests Assessor and Practice Educator
- A supportive team working environment with regular supervision from a Practice Manager or Team Manager
- Access to a wide range of formal and informal CPD activities underpinned by a performance appraisal scheme and career progression pathway
- A clear competency and career progression framework, with accelerated progression for Social Workers
- An annual appraisal linking your learning and development needs
- AMHP Training is available (subject to qualifying criteria and selection) and regular refresher training is available for those who are already qualified
- Subsidised leisure passes
- Generous annual leave allowance
- Local Government pension scheme
- Access to smarter working / flexible working
- Latest technology by way of Mobile phones and laptops
- Parking permits / Oyster Cards
For more information please contact Nicola Hyde, Adults Recruitment Specialist on 0203 373 1457 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Application are vetted weekly and we will be in touch with successful applications before the end date, please note we are only recruiting for Social Workers with 2+ years post qualifying experience
The London Borough of Newham is a Disability Confident employer. Candidates who declare that they have a disability in accordance with the Equality Act 2010 and meet the essential criteria as specified in the Job Profile will be guaranteed an interview.
Priority consideration on all advertised roles will be given to London Borough of Newham Redeployees.
The London Borough of Newham is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable groups and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Please be aware that a Disclosure and Barring Scheme (DBS) check will be required for any position with access to these groups under the provision of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
In addition, the Authority reserves the right to request employees undertake a basic disclosure check (Disclosure Scotland) where required for the role this includes anyone who has access to (or information obtained directly from) a government database, or has a GCSX account. These posts will be required to have a Basic Disclosure Scotland check as per the requirements of BPSS (Baseline Personnel Security Standards).
The personal information that you provide to us in this site will be used by London Borough of Newham (as the Data Controller) for the following purposes:
- email you content that you have requested from us
- contact you to deal with a specific query you have raised
- comply with any of our legal and/or regulatory obligations
- process your employment application and share information with the Human Resources department (via the Talent Link system) if you are successful.
- report of the total number of people who apply online to positions advertised